If you read my previous post then you will know that I am currently working on a small off grid farm near a town called Maella, in Spain. They have their own land with fig, almond and olive trees. The food that they grow here is for their own personal use so we all decided to try and make an almond and fig cake. We used a vegan recipe, and I want to add that the people here have been amazing at accommodating me and create interesting vegan meals. So, if you worry about travelling whilst vegan my advice would be that people, generally, are super understanding and the rest will bombard you with questions.
Anyway, back to the recipe! The point of that little paragraph was to say that we picked all the almonds and figs ourselves and found a recipe which we adapted and in hindsight if I was to make again, would use less sugar and use a banana or two!
3 cups – flour
3/4 cups – brown sugar
1/2 cup- sugar
1 tbsp – baking soda
1 tsp – baking powder
1/2 – salt
1/3 – vegetable oil
2 tsp – vanilla extract
1 1/2 – almond milk
1 cup – almonds (we used the left over grounded almonds from making the almond milk)
1 cup – figs
- This recipe is really simple, which is what makes it so perfect. Mix all the dry ingredients followed by all the wet.
- Once it is all mixed nicely together add the almonds and figs.
- Add to a greased baking tin and pour the mixture in. Sprinkle some brown sugar on top to create a crispy top.
- The oven needs to be preheated 180 degrees C/350 degrees F/Gas 4.
- Cook the cake for around an hour but I found mine was perfect at 50 minutes.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post and I really hope you try out the recipe and be prepared for a super tasty cake! my next post should be up on Wednesday but in the meantime why not check out my last blog post about making almond milk!?